According to the latest data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average national salary for Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers is $47,880 per year or $23.02 per hour.
The median salary is $42,700 and mental health and substance abuse social workers in the 10th percentile make $26,730 a year and those in the upper 90th percentile make $74,650.
Top Employing Industries for Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social WorkersMedian salaries for mental health and substance abuse social workers employed by these organizations during 2008 were as follows:
- Outpatient care centers: $44,420
- Individual and family services: $43,690
- Residential mental retardation, mental health and substance abuse facilities: $42,190
- Local government (OES designation): $50,680
- Psychiatric and substance abuse hospitals: $53,740