The most recent Occupational Employment Statistics data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (May 2016) show that the average national salary for healthcare social workers is $55,510 a year or $26.69 per hour. The median salary for healthcare social workers is $53,760 a year. Public health social workers with wages in the bottom 10th percentile made $32,750 a year and those in the upper 90th percentile earned $80,020 or more annually.
Top Employers of Healthcare Social Worker
Of all healthcare social workers, those working in general, medical, and surgical hospitals earn the largest annual salaries. Next, come those who work in individual and family services, home health care services, nursing care facilities, and then outpatient care centers. See the average salaries for individuals working in these industries, below.
- General medical and surgical hospitals: $61,080
- Individual and family services: $46,280
- Home health care services: $59,820
- Nursing care facilities (skilled nursing facilities): $50,200
- Outpatient care centers: $57,130